2016 Data Science Graduate Summer Fellows Program – Apply Now
Application Deadline: Friday, May 27 by 5:00 p.m.
Stipend Amount: GSR Level V or VI at 50% effort for 3 months
Program Dates: mid-June to mid-September
The UCI Data Science Initiative is pleased to announce its 2016 Graduate Summer Fellows Program. This program is intended to support UCI PhD students involved in new interdisciplinary research projects that have a strong data science/data analysis component. Selected Fellows will be supported as graduate student researchers (GSR V) at 50% time for 3 months during Summer 2016. Additional expenses (such as lab materials, computing equipment, travel, etc) will not be covered.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”][fusion_button link=”https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/RJQCZD2″ color=”default” size=”” stretch=”” type=”” shape=”” target=”_self” title=”” gradient_colors=”|” gradient_hover_colors=”|” accent_color=”” accent_hover_color=”” bevel_color=”” border_width=”1px” icon=”” icon_divider=”yes” icon_position=”left” modal=”” animation_type=”0″ animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”0.1″ animation_offset=”” alignment=”left” class=”” id=””]Apply Today![/fusion_button][fusion_separator style_type=”none” top_margin=”10″ bottom_margin=”10″ sep_color=”” border_size=”” icon=”” icon_circle=”” icon_circle_color=”” width=”” alignment=”center” class=”” id=””/]
We anticipate awarding at least 10 stipends and expect to notify applicants with the results by June 6, 2016.
To encourage interdisciplinarity, applicants are strongly encouraged to identify a second faculty member from a different discipline (relative to their PhD program or department) who is willing to participate as a co-advisor for the proposed project, e.g., physics + engineering, genomics + statistics, cognitive science + computer science, and so on.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program at UCI.
- A PhD faculty advisor who agrees to supervise the proposed project. The funds will be allocated to the faculty advisor’s account to employ the fellow as a GSR.
- Applicants may have an additional funding source where they are employed (e.g., as a part-time GSR) with a unit on campus up 50% time (but no more than 50%) during the summer.
- Fellows are required to be in residence on campus for most of the summer. Fellows will be expected to attend and participate in a number of Data Science Initiative events over the summer, and to provide updates and presentations about their projects. One specific requirement is to attend a meeting with visiting students in a NASA-STEM program during the week of August 17th.
- Willingness to publish code and data (if appropriate) from your project at the end of the summer.
The default level of support will be GSR Level V at $2,191.00 per month (50% effort) plus 3.0% benefits. Students who are currently being supported at GSR Level VI or higher in AY 15-16 will be eligible to be supported at GSR Level VI at $2,366.50 per month (50% effort) plus 3.0% benefits.
This program will consider applications from pairs of students from different disciplines working in collaboration on a single project. These can be submitted as a single application and if selected will result in funding for both students, each at 50% time.
Criteria for funding decisions will include the following:
– Interdisciplinarity: is there evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration for the proposed project, such as involvement of a faculty mentor from another discipline?
– Novelty: is this a new research topic or a continuation of existing research that could be funded via other means?
– Outcomes: does the proposal identify likely outcomes after the project is completed? Examples could include submission of a research paper, an artifact such as software or a public data archive, a proposal for follow-on funding, etc.
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org.[/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]